Recent Posts

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Today

We went back to Brian's grandmother's house today. I am so glad Jennifer took charge, made an excel spread sheet dividing every room and itemizing most of the furniture and other valuables. Without her organization, it would have taken all of us 12 hrs rather than the 5 hrs we spent sorting out through Mrs. Cole belongings and all the little meaningful things that filled her home.

Brian and I definitely did not want much, especially because our house is already fully furnished. We, ok I requested we take some stunning teacups that his grandmother had collected. I intend on displaying them in our home in memory and because they are truly beautiful little objects.

There was also a frame containing a hand cross-stitched piece that reads "COLE". When I saw this, it was stronger than me- I wanted to take it because Brian and I have agreed that if we have a baby boy, "Cole" will surely be his name. You see, Cole was his mother's last name, and is also his middle name. Not only that, but even before I met Brian, I loved the name Cole for a guy. It's strong and fits a handsome man perfectly. Anyways I think this "COLE" wall art would make for a beautiful and meaningful addition to a baby boy's room.

Brian also made sure that his grandfather's vintage camera would come home with us so that I could try it out. Other little things that have been passed down to us are:
A beautiful white vintage globe
some ancient coins
old coke bottles
a very neat Singer sewing table
a chest
a strange knife that belonged to his grandfather
a small table his grandfather made
a buffet table that belonged to his great-grandparents
some cute little ornate pots + pans
and a few other small and beautiful things.

I know that what Im going to say next is a bit dark- but this whole experience with sorting out Bobby's home has made me realize that: when I get older I too will leave behind a list of things that I want to be passed down to each specific "heir" (for lack of a better term). It will just make things easier for the ones that are left sorting out through all that remains of my life. Bobby left a list that was so very specific about the things she wanted to pass down and to whom. What I loved the most is that Bobby not only left this itemized list, she also wrote something about the meaning of these items. For example, if a specific ring was a gift from her husband or her parents, or her daughter. She was grand. It's beautiful to not only pass down these objects, but also the meaning along with them.

Also, I went through more old pictures of Brian's family today. Today I discovered why Brian is so obsessed with fishing! Looking through pictures of his grandfather, every single picture depicted him with a victorious catch of thick fish. I loved having found this little genealogical detail about Brian. ;)

We took a few more old photos home with us and I think I now have almost what I need to begin the family tree (on his side at least!).

We got home at 6pm. It was a long day. After bringing back home so many little objects, I had a freak-out moment from all the clutter and I went on a cleaning streak for an hr or so. Brian helped as usual doing dishes and laundry :)

He then left the house without telling me where he was headed. When he came back he brought back my guitar with new strings all changed and perfect so that I could practice more. He is a sweetie :D I am the luckiest just to have him for my own.

Life is a beautiful mix of bittersweet.

0 comments: