Recent Posts

Monday 6 May 2013

Ezra | 27 Weeks


The past few weeks have been the most challenging thus far. First Ezra got sick with a fever and ear infection-- which we then understood was probably caused by the unbelievable teething that followed. Ezra got 3 teeth in one week (and is still putting teeth in! we think we see a canine!!!!)-- simultaneously his cheek was getting so bad from his rubbing and rubbing it -- it was really bad and he would have "permanent" itching and rash outbreaks all over his body...
On top of these things there was also the introduction of the bottle and formula. I initially wanted to introduce formula not only to be more practical with his feedings but also to monitor his diet and see if his rashes would get better. Well we failed with the bottle many many times (with my breast milk inside).One night we tried putting organic (cow's milk) formula in the bottle-- he swatted it away and all the splatters of milk that dripped on his face had him break out. The milk was like acid on his skin!!! it was so scary! I was ready to go to the ER-- mainly because of what an immediate & severe reaction he had to it!!!!
I finally insisted for him to be seen by an allergist where we discovered he is allergic to a number of foods: milk, eggs & wheat.
This is truly the short version of what has been a couple of tumultuous weeks. I have been tried, I have been stretched, overstretched, tried again and I think I am coming out a more virtuous person because of it all. Worrying about your little babe is no fun at all. Trying to not set bad habits while teething is also a fine line. Wanting to comfort him but still keep rules. Going to so many doctor's offices alone with baby was so tiring. At one point Ezra was on all types of meds and we were so torn whether to give him relief through these or not: drops for ear infection, ibprofen for teething, antibiotics, steroid creme for rash... we tried to be so sparing with all these bandaids... oh yes and we had a phisical bandaid on his cheek to try to keep it moistened...

anyways I think we are finally getting over the hump... we're still dealing with some set backs (in the evenings from 8-10pm Ezra wants to be cuddled and has in a way forgotten how to soothe himself) so we are having to retrain him a bit and it's really stressful. He does sleep through the night though which is obviously always first priority !!!

As far as the allergy and nutrition situation at this point there are not many options. Ezra will NOT take a bottle (we've tried 5 different types) and he just refuses. For the past six months it has only been my breasts. Now because of the allergies my diet is HIS diet therefore at this point it's as if I am allergic to egg milk and wheat. I have taken those things completely out of my diet since the day we found out and his skin feels like perfect baby velvet! it's like a miracle. I think it was never "eczema" rather just allergens in his body!!! milk eggs and WHEAT was in pretty much everything I ever ate!!! My diet has changed SOOOO drastically in the past few days and until he will take a bottle I will continue it of course. I know that this is the best thing for my little boy and really I feel like I should thank him for introducing me to this much healthier way of life ;)

If and when he will ever take a bottle, SOY formula would be the way to go-- we are both skeptical about this because we've heard SOY can be hormone altering and that's just scary!!!!! so it looks like things are lining up for him to be on mama's breast for the next 6 months!

The allergies are most likely temporary and he will out grow them-- for now though they are very much there and those foods need to be avoided at all costs!!

These have been some though parenting days where I feel like everything was thrown at me all at once (and thrown at Ezra of course too). He won't remember thank goodness but I will remember the lessons that have initiated me into parenthood. Struggle.

In the meantime both Brian and I have noticed him having a crazy growth spurt as far as babbling, alertness, movements, jumping, awareness, business and we are loving each part of his growth. He really is such a special little boy. He brings such joy to me. Explosive joy.


0 comments: